eUparjan System posted by Super User
Madhya Pradesh Implemented Project "e-Uparjan" - Online Grain Procurement on MSP
The “eUparjan System” is an initiative of the Department of Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection, Government of Madhya Pradesh to strengthen the Procurement operations (under MSP) and to develop near real-time reporting mechanism at different levels and a decision support system for enhancing the forecasting, monitoring and tracking capabilities of the Department. In addition, this system will also bring in transparency and efficiency in procurement of wheat at minimum support price and develop a unified database of farmers of the state. However, the most important outcome of the project is speedy and transparent transfer of the MSP dues of the farmers into their account directly.
The eUparjan System is entirely being developed in the mother language - HINDI and 15 lakhs wheat farmers of the entire Madhya Pradesh are being benefited through this System; the application works in 2 modules – Offline module (working at the Uparjan Kendras) and Online Module (connected to the Internet). With the help of the data entry operators and runners, all the data from the field level (Offline module) is updated into the Online system. All the registered farmers are intimated about the expected procurement details through the SMS mechanism. SMS is sent to the farmers 4 to 5 days in advance of the expected crop procurement details to support them in making the necessary arrangements. After the procurement stage, the due amount of the farmers is directly transferred to their respective bank accounts. After all the processes are finished at field level and district level, all the data is transferred to the Online Module with the help of the runners on everyday basis to give all the State and District officials the near real-time reporting which enhances the decision making and planning at the State level.
During the entire course of the eUparjan Project, the main attention was given to provide benefits to the farmers. To start with, different trainings were conducted for the eUparjan System both at State and district level to spread knowledge and awareness among all the stakeholders. The farmer’s registration was done with the help of MP Online e-District portal in 1st & 2nd phase and through Uparjan Kendras in 3rd phase. All the farmers related details is then transferred from the MP Online server to the NIC; then NIC does the data cleaning of the raw farmers captured details related to land, bank names, uparjan Kendras. All the corrected data hosted at the NIC server, transferred to the Online Module & Offline application through runners. After the data has been transferred to the Offline module, SMS scheduling is done which primarily means fixing of the per day buying capacity of the Uparjan Kendras and selection of the farmers for specific dates for procurement. All the SMS scheduling data is then transferred to Online Module by the runners (runners have been given unique passwords for data uploading and downloading). All the data is collated at NIC server, and then the SMS data is fetched from the data and is transferred to the SMS vendor. SMS vendor sends the SMS to the farmers and also does compilation of the delivery status of SMSes. Thereafter, the farmer’s wheat procurement takes place at Uparjan Kendras and the daily purchase is sent to all the concerned banks everyday so that the payment of the due amount can be done in the farmers' bank accounts within 10 working days. The eUparjan System facilitates convenient, transparent and efficient flow of data from the Offline to the Online and vice-versa.
SeMT has been closely involved in this project throughout implementation period. SeMT Consultants prepared Detailed Project Report in consultation of line departments. All the procurement of hardware was done at field level for which SeMT prepared detailed specification and necessary guidelines. SeMT also imparted training to field officials. Since the project was in high priority of State govt. and dedicated engagment was essential to take up all the PM activities effectively, Dept. of IT engaged external dedicated consultants for 4 months in this project. At the end the Project was declared as mega success and won State IT Award under the category "IT for Masses".
- Single Unique database of more than 15 lakhs farmers to give benefits to the farmers under the MSP and to give benefits to farmers by saving their time, as the due amounts are being transferred directly to their bank accounts
- Providing near real time data for easy decision making and forecasting to all the stakeholders
- Providing a transparent and more efficient interface about the procurement in all the districts at a single glance.
- Developing an SMS mechanism (sending SMS to farmers - 4 to 5 days in advance); thus providing ample time to farmers to make necessary arrangement for wheat selling.
- Develop a system to have better Basic Management arrangements.
- Unified database of the farmers and Centralized MIS of farmers in the State- previously there was no record maintenance of the farmers details
- Decision Support System - till last year all the decisions were made after making regular calling to the district officials to get the procurement status
- Efficient Monitoring and Control of procurement processes- till last year all the monitoring was done on the basis of the status received after making regular calling to the district officials to get the procurement status
- Real time alert mechanism for farmers regarding procurement processes-till last year all the monitoring was done on the basis of the status received after making regular calling to the district officials to get the procurement status
- SMS alert mechanism for Farmers (SMS scheduling date-wise)- till last year there was no such technology mechanism used for the procurement process
- Bardana Management- till last year all the decisions were made after making regular calling to the district officials to get the procurement status
- Storage Management- till last year all the decisions were made after making regular calling to the district officials to get the procurement status
- Payment of the due amount in a more convenient manner- previously farmers were given cheque and they have to spend days and days in queues in banks to get their cheques cleared and receive the amount
- Transparency and citizen interface- previously there was less transparency because of inaccurate reporting and monitoring of the wheat procurement process
- Development of near real-time reporting mechanism- till last year all the decisions were made after making regular calling to the district officials to get the procurement status
- System generated dashboard reports at various levels- previously every report have to be made manually after getting the telephonic updates from the district officials
- System generated orders, receipts and reports- previously every receipts were given manually and all the reports have to made based on the not so accurate reports